In the summer weather it’s important to make sure that your vehicle maintenance is up to code and that the components that can be directly affected by rising temperatures are in good working order. Two of the most important of these components are the car radiator and the car air conditioning system. So what are the most important tasks for vehicle maintenance in the summer? And how can you make sure your car stays on the road?
Maintaining the car radiator in the summer
The car radiator plays a vital role in preventing the engine from overheating. During the summer, when temperatures soar, the risk of engine overheating increases substantially. To ensure your car radiator is in top condition you should:
- Check coolant levels: Regularly inspect the coolant level and top it up if necessary. It is essential to use the appropriate coolant specified by the manufacturer.
- Inspect radiator hoses: Examine the radiator hoses for cracks, leaks, or signs of wear and tear. Damaged hoses can lead to coolant leakage, resulting in engine overheating.
- Clean the radiator: Over time, the radiator can accumulate debris, dirt, and insects, obstructing airflow. Use a soft brush or compressed air to gently clean the radiator’s fins and remove any obstructions.
- Flush and replace coolant: Consider flushing the cooling system and replacing the coolant as recommended by the manufacturer. This helps remove contaminants and ensures optimal cooling performance.
Maintaining the car air conditioning system in the summer:
In scorching summer temperatures, a well-functioning car air conditioning system provides comfort and ensures a pleasant driving experience. To keep your car’s AC system working efficiently:
- Test the air conditioning: Before the summer heat sets in, test the air conditioning system to ensure it blows cold air. If you notice any issues, such as weak airflow or warm air, seek professional assistance for repairs.
- Clean or replace cabin air filters: The cabin air filters trap dust, pollen, and other pollutants, improving air quality within the vehicle. Clean or replace these filters regularly to maintain optimal airflow and prevent unpleasant odors.
- Check refrigerant levels: Insufficient refrigerant can result in reduced cooling performance. Have a professional check and, if necessary, recharge the refrigerant levels to ensure the system operates effectively.
- Inspect the AC condenser: The AC condenser, located in front of the radiator, can become clogged with debris, hindering heat dissipation. Regularly clean the condenser to maintain efficient cooling.
Here at MRS Heat Transfer we are radiator and air conditioning experts and we have the skills, knowledge and expertise to resolve any air conditioning or radiator issue or problem. We also provide professional air conditioning servicing for any vehicle. Why not get in touch today to find out more?